May 18, 2017
Conway Lum, will be speaking to LVGC on Insects: Friends or Foe in May. His biography follows:
· currently working for GardenWorks@Mandeville (originally Mandeville Garden Centre located at corner of Nelson St. and Marine Drive, Burnaby) since 1988.
· started out in nursery but now garden supplies/information desk conducting most of the in-house seminars/workshops.
· recipient of the “Garden Communicator of the Year Award” by BC Landscape and Nursery Association (BCLNA) for 2012.
· contributor to the “Ask-the-Pro” column in BC Living (Garden Wise) Magazine.
· evening instructor for New Westminster Continuing Education for gardening classes.
· past recipient of the “Garden Communicator Award” by BC Landscape and Nursery Association (BCLNA) for 2006.
· past recipient of the “Environmental Star Award” by the City of Burnaby for European Chafer public education.
· previously served on the European Chafer advisory committee.
· currently serving on the provincial certification committee for BCLNA and Canadian Nursery and Landscape Association (CNLA).
· one of the first three candidates to receive the “Certified Horticultural Technician for retail” in Canada (CNLA).
· recently obtained “Landscape Industry Certified” technician for ornamental and turf maintenance (CNLA).
· environment designate (2015) as advisory capacity for the retail commodity group for BCLNA.
· Honorary member of “South Burnaby Garden Club”.
· Professional Agrologist.
· graduated from University of British Columbia with Bachelor of Science in plant science (ornamental horticulture) and botany.
June 15, 2017
Cathy Nakagawa from Lee Valley
Topic: Container Gardening
July and August 2017
September 21, 2017
Company Bio: LifeSpace Gardens build handcrafted self-watering gardens. They help people grow the good life on the North Shore & Metro Vancouver - on balconies, in yards, on rooftops and in the most beautiful public spaces!
Carissa Kasper is a writer, cultivator and educator rooted in Vancouver. A Saskatchewan transplant, she has grown, taken and left hairs of herself in the 24 countries she’s visited and in her writing, most recently published in the Lonely Planet Travel Anthology. Carissa works with LifeSpace Gardens teaching families, businesses, nurseries, restaurants, and online at ProjectGarden.ca, how to grow food and build community one small garden at a time.
Carissa will be speaking to our club on the topic, “Community Cultivation for Sustainable Business, Food Systems & Cities”.
October 19, 2017
topic: "Fall in Love with Unusuals” This is all about the unusual bulbs you can plant in the fall to enjoy in the springtime.
November 16, 2017
Four years ago, Cathy Finley traded a career in social work for life on the farm. She and her husband Ian moved from a Surrey subdivision to a five-acre plot in Langley, where they began to restore the land using sustainable and permaculture practices. They began selling their salad greens and eggs to former Surrey neighbours and soon were making regular deliveries to 20 families. Their farm business exploded in the following years and they now grow a variety of fruits and vegetables, raise heritage breeds of livestock, attend farmers markets, open their farm to weekend markets during the growing season, offer workshops and learning opportunities and host events such as Farm Folk/City Folk’s Feast of Fields.